Two days ago the Hungarian club confirmed their clash against the Reds at Anfield in 2009 was part of Europol’s match-fixing investigation. There has never any suggestion of wrongdoing by Liverpool, who won the tie 1-0.
Back in 2010 Poleksic was banned for two years by UEFA for not reporting approaches from fixers before that game and another European encounter against Fiorentina. However, the Montenegro keeper insists he didn’t act on the approaches and that his only crime was failing to inform the authorities.
“Anyone who watched the match would know that what people are saying is bull,” Poleksic said. “I played a good game. I made lots of saves: a one-on-one against Albert Riera, one from Fernando Torres, one from Steven Gerrard. I remember it all. How can anyone say I threw the game?
“The match did not seem at all odd that night. There was nothing. I was just delighted to be playing at Anfield. It was a great night for me and my club and we played well.”
The one goal Poleksic conceded against Liverpool came after a decent save from a Torres shot which deflected into the path of Dirk Kuyt, who tapped it in. Asked why he didn’t report the approach to his club at the time, Poleksic said: “I don’t know where they were from but I made the mistake of not saying anything. I wasn’t sure it was so serious and I had no information about the people so I didn’t say anything.”
European enforcement agency Europol revealed on Monday that a Champions League game in England was one of 380 games under investigation and Debrecen confirmed a report that their games were involved. Poleksic completed his ban in June last year, has played seven games for the club this season and is likely to be in the Montenegro squad for the World Cup qualifier against England next month.
Full News here – Dubai Latest Trusted Stories Feed
Get up to 75% discount in Dubai hotels!